[Sca-cooks] When is it Plagiarism and When is it a Redaction?

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 07:53:50 PST 2010

I went to Purdue University to look at how they saw plagiarism in their academic environment. It would seem that this would fall as a misuse of source, if they gave no citation... but the differences between the two, as you say, are minor and would seem to be covered under the "ideas" part under their definition of plagiarism.

I suppose the real challenge in determining between the two may be the original source for the recipe being redacted. Some recipes have a lot more leeway than others in what the final redaction can be than others. When a recipe doesn't have much leeway, how much room is there for the redaction?

Yet, underlying this... there is still room for interpretation of the exact amounts: 8 cups to 8 cups, instead of 8 cups to a pound.

So my final thought is I would definitely say it is a misuse of source and plagiarism of an "idea", taking the minor deviations into consideration.

 Euriol