[Sca-cooks] When is it Plagiarism and When is it a Redaction?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 5 13:07:10 PST 2010

>Greetings!  I think I know the answer, but I thought I would see
>what you all had to say.  I have been reading someone's work where
>the person says that the item is their "redaction" from someone
>else's recipe.  The differences between the original and the
>"redaction" are (to me) exceedingly minor.  What would you say?

I think the  question is the context in which the "redaction" is
being offered. If someone says "this is my recipe for X based on Y's
redaction of a period recipe" there is nothing to object to. If he
says "this is my redaction of the period recipe" then, in the context
of SCA cooking where "redaction" means "start with the period recipe
and convert it into instructions with quantities etc." then I think
he is lying, since he obviously didn't redact it himself--just
modified someone else's--and he is claiming credit for someone else's
work.

I note, by the way, that both versions ignore the fact that the
original specifies clarified butter. I'm assuming that had the same
meaning then as now, although I could be wrong.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com