[Sca-cooks] When is it Plagiarism and When is it a Redaction?

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:28:18 PST 2010

Actually, I think that the author's intent was not actually a redaction...at
least the way I understand redactions...but rather an adaptation of the
recipe for a special need.  I suspect that, as was the case when I first
started historical cookery, the author may not understand exactly what is
meant by the term.

Kiri

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Greetings!  I think I know the answer, but I thought I would see what you
> all had to say.  I have been reading someone's work where the person says
> that the item is their "redaction" from someone else's recipe.  The
> differences between the original and the "redaction" are (to me) exceedingly
> minor.  What would you say?
>
> Here is the modern version of a recipe:
>
> 8 cups of any combination of spinach, cabbage, beet greens, onion,
>   leeks, parsley, etc., chopped
> 1 stick (1/4 lb.) of butter
> salt to taste
> 1 cup diced bread or unseasoned croutons
>
> Cover greens with water; add butter and bring to a boil; add salt. Reduce
> heat & cook until vegetables are tender; drain. Place bread or croutons in
> serving bowl and cover with cooked greens.
>
> Here is what someone has called their redaction of the recipe, above:
>
> 8 cups of any combination of spinach, cabbage, beet greens, onions,
>   leeks, parsley, etc., chopped
> 4 Tablespoons olive oil (you can use 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
> Salt to taste (use sea salt)
>
> Cover greens with water; add butter or oil and bring to a boil; add salt.
>  Reduce heat and cook until vegetables are tender; drain. (Author’s
> redaction)
>
> Would the second person be said have plagiarized the first recipe?  Or are
> the few changes enough to make the recipe "their own"?
>
> Alys K.
> --
> Elise Fleming
> alysk at ix.netcom.com
> http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/ <http://home.netcom.com/%7Ealysk/>

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince