[Sca-cooks] growing oats

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Sun Feb 7 22:57:29 PST 2010

Well growing upon a farm, oats 'seemed to sprout and grow faster than the
weeds ' here in Minnesota and were a bit more frost tolerant than many of
the other farm crops.    My Dad insisted on  planting them the
'old-fashioned' way which meant we walked the  fresh tilled  acreage and
tossed seed. The crop   was planted early June and was usually harvested
early July (I live in Minnesota).  Even  growing zone 3,   we usually got
two crops of them. We never weeded oats but then again we double plowed and
dragged/disc  the field.    The oats grew very close together because of
hand planting(with a grain planter that fanned the seeds as you walked in
about a 6 foot radius).   We harvest oats using  1930's style equipment and
the oats could be used for ether  animal grain, balled as hay (stalks and
heads but cut before the seeds were totally ripe), or silage.  Modern
farming usually has oats growing in neat close rows so it can be sprayed and
cultivated for more yield to the acre.
 From my understanding,  which is not grinding  and making  oats into human
food; oats for food can be harvested when still slightly-milky inside to
make some types of oat products, or when when totally dry  or oven dried to
make others.  I am not positive,  I  am writing from memory,  but the
processing is/was done by different types of mill stones for  certain types
of products (rolled, flattened,  flour).   Oats for most grains for chicken,
pig,and cow food is course- ground and added to other grains.
   The milky fresh oats are also good to eat and as kids we used to swipe
them out of the fields as a snack.
                       kay