[Sca-cooks] Buttered wortes/oatmeal

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 07:45:40 PST 2010

Usually what you can porridge is what we mean...up until the past 10 years
or so all you ever saw in the grocery stores was rolled oats...usually
Quaker.  Usually eaten for breakfast with sugar, milk and other
accouterments (brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, honey, etc.). More recently
we've been able to get steel cut oats...first the Irish type, then American
companies started making the steel cut oats as well...cf. Bob's Red Mill.

Kiri

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Claire Clarke <angharad at adam.com.au> wrote:

> As a matter of curiosity, when Americans say 'oatmeal' do they mean
> porridge? This is the impression I have. For me, raised in England, and
> living most of my adult life in Australia, oatmeal is the finely ground
> stuff, and porridge is a breakfast cereal made with rolled oats.
>
> Angharad
>
> --
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince