[Sca-cooks] 12th Century

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 16 10:57:37 PST 2010

--On Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:44 AM -0800 Marguerite fitzWilliam
<m_fitzwilliam at msn.com> wrote:

> I don't suppose any one knows of a source for 12th century
> Norman/French/Saxon or Welsh cooking information in English?  SCA
> translations and redctions are fine.

FWIW, the earliest full recipes I know of in English are from Constance
Hieatt's article in Oct 1986 Speculum (vol 61, no 4), p 859-883 "Two
Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections Edited from British Library Manuscripts
Additional 32085 and Royal 12.C.xii, y Constance B Hieatt and Robin F
Jones.  This articles states: "B.L. Add. 32085 (hereafter MS A) is a small
quarto vellum volume of the late-thirteenth century...it includes nothing
later than early documents of the reign of Edware I (1272-1307)...The
recipes given here are among the earliest full recipes from medieval
Western Europe, since the earliest continental French, Danish, an Latin
collections are roughly contemporary (1)"

and has a footnote to "1 A northern European collection is of slightly
earlier origin, going back to the first half of the thirteenth century: see
Rudolf Grewe, "An Early Xiiith Century Northern European Cookbook"

toodles, margaret