[Sca-cooks] A question about meat-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 16 15:00:30 PST 2010

Just found some references to _Capitulare de villis vel curtis imperii_,
which was officially put out by Charlemagne @800- a truly awesome
document for the regulation of crown lands- agricultural and
horticultural source par excellence. Includes in chapter 70 and
exhaustive list of plants, including fruit trees. There's a decent wiki
page on it at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitulare_de_villis_vel_curtis_imperii
though I wussed out and used the Google translator, since I don't read
German.

Still reading about Anthimus- he's writing roughly 3 centuries before
Charles, but there's a chance that his doctors were familiar with the
text, and a very good chance that Alcuin was. It hadn't occurred to me
to look there because I think of Anthimus as late Roman rather than
early medieval (or 'Dark Ages').

Don't know why I do this to myself. I'm still buried in reading on the
monastery at Corbie, and now I have a whole 'nother avenue. :-P Guess
it'll have to go into the queue...

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore