[Sca-cooks] Next project, next recipe II.Ambroyno

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 20 04:54:18 PST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Recipe for the kvass?  I had some years ago when I visited Russia (it was
> still the Soviet Union then...) and remember drinking kvass.  I've love to
> know how to make it!

Master Ateno and I made kvass years ago from a recipe I had found in Andre L. Simon's Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy (Simon had taken it from some other source, which I could check if I had it in front of me, which I don't).

I gather it was a little unusual in that yes, it was made from "bread", as long as it was understood that by "bread" the original author meant ground malt made into a very thick mash, formed into cakes and baked in a very low oven for many hours, maybe eight to twelve, then the cakes are broken up and put in water.

Apart from a flavoring of mint, and the fact that it was really at its best at about two weeks of age, as I recall, it was a whole lot like making beer.

I'll see if I can locate the recipe tomorrow...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter