[Sca-cooks] Verjuice was Re: Next project, next recipe II.Ambroyno- price questions

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 22:52:22 PST 2010

yaini0625 at yahoo.com wrote:

>Could you repost the fist part of your discussion on verjuice. What it is vs lemon >juice. I some how lost it off the blackberry.

You can go to the archives by following the links at the bottom of this message.

> If I am understanding correctly, verjuice is primarily green grapes or crabapples juiced to make a bitter liquid? This was different from vinegar? Was verjuice used as a flavoring or preservative?

Not bitter.  Sour.  It's usually a flavouring, but I do have a 16th or
17th century recipe for cucumbers pickled in salt and verjuice.

Vinegar is produced by letting bacteria (acetobacter) ferment wine,
cider, or beer.

> As Thorvald mentioned gooseberry and sorrel is used for bitter flavoring. Are we talking about Viking food? The Saami aka Laplanders use sorrel and angelica as flavoring and as a preservative for reindeer milk. But this wouldn't be considered verjuice?

Not bitter  Sour.  Sorrel was used as a verjuice source in France,
IIRC.  There's not really much known about the specifics of Viking
cooking, and I personally know almost exactly nil about modern Sami cooking.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?