[Sca-cooks] Table Fat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 23 16:26:39 PST 2010

Schmalz is a German word  for melted fat, grease, drippings. lard, etc.  It
covers any animal fat being used in this manner and in some dialects, butter
and the like.  Kosher is immaterial.

Yiddish is a High German language of Ashkenazi Jewish origin, a German
dialect, that is based on religion rather than region.  Since kosher is
material in Yiddish, schmaltz or schmalz, is more narrowly defined as
rendered chicken or goose fat.

Bear