[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate Molasses

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 23 22:08:44 PST 2010

>> Which reminds me- there's a recipe for something called 'Strawbereye' in... I think it was Curye on Inglische. Anyway, it is basically a strawberry pudding, but it also calls for pomegranate seeds to be 'strewn abouten'. Oookaaay... but strawberries and pomegranates aren't in season at the same time, are they? How did they do this?
>>

> Is it possible the pomegranates were imported from someplace where they were in season (say, the Mediterranean basin?), while the berries were local?
>
> Adamantius

When _are_ they in season? We get them here in Oregon during the
holidays- and they're imported, though from where I don't know. I've
never seen them any other time of year. Local strawberries come on in June.

I'm guessing that English strawberries were in season around the same
time (we have similar weather, etc). I would hazard a guess that poms
were imported from Spain (making the giant leap from the presence of a
pom on the arms of Grenada), so I guess then the question is when are
they in season in Spain?

Brighid's idea of dried ones is interesting. Would they have noted dried
or fresh?

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore