[Sca-cooks] Pomegranate seeds

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Feb 26 05:05:39 PST 2010

The fleshy aril is the flavorful part.  The seed itself can be eaten,
but doesn't really have any flavor.  The dried ones used in Middle
eastern and Indian cooking include the flesh.  The Indian ones I have
are -very- hard, and can't be eaten without grinding - lots of
grinding.  I've heard there are softer Middle eastern ones, that are
more like raisins with a seed in the middle.

The dried ones are used to add sourness to a dish, much like adding
lemon or verjuice, but they are nearly black and not the beautiful
red jewel of fresh ones.

It's possible and even likely that dried ones were used in period,
but they seem an unlikely garnish.  At least they would need to be
soaked or something.  I'm sure that when the texts say grain, they
mean the whole aril whether fresh or dry, not just the seed inside.

Ranvaig