[Sca-cooks] Looking for references to orange carrots

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 18:13:34 PST 2010

Respected friends:
(much snippage)
--- On Sat, 2/27/10, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I got this inquiry recently about the
> root-vegetables-msg file in the Florilegium.

> Stefan
>
> ===========
> From: Carrot Museum <curator at carrotmuseum.co.uk>
> Subject: Orange carrots

> Do you happen to have a reference for this:
>
> Adamantius
>
> The first reference to the orange carrot appears in the
> 12th Century and the
> carrots I've found in 16th Century paintings are orange.
> Orange carrots
> were very likely the norm by the late Middle Ages.
>
> Shown in the discussion about carrots. - http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/root-veg-msg.html
>
> I am trying to track down early sightings of orange
> carrots.
>
> Thanks
>
> John
     According to the _National Geographic_, modern bright-orange sweet carrots occurred as a true mutation discovered in an English field in the mid 1700s. Because they were so startlingly sweet, they spread like wildfire and caused the extinction of hundreds of other carrot varieties, including the earlier 'rusty' orange carrots, which-- like most carrots in the middle ages-- weren't at all sweet.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

If you're doing your best, and your best isn't very good, that's life. If you aren't doing your best, _that's cheating_.