[Sca-cooks] 12th Nights

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 10:22:24 PST 2010

Johnnae wrote:
>  Various 12th Nights are being held in the coming two weeks.
>
>  So what people planning or being served this year?

West Kingdom has never had a feast as long as i've been in the SCA,
since Twelfth Night is usually held in a hotel.

There's always a large room with many tables set aside for people to
bring their own food, usually for lunch and snacks.

For dinner, everyone is on their own. People generally go to nearby
restaurants or eat in the hotel restaurant.

For the longest time, people who wanted to dance had to find a hall
or other public space (like a deserted lobby) to dance in. Appalling,
i know! Fortunately a couple people got together a few years ago and
with the support of some Duchesses, created a dance ball later on
Saturday night. Since certain of the organizers wanted a period
banqueting table, there is usually nothing but cloying sweets
available. I have no idea what's being planned this year, since no
requests for help or discussions took place on any of the local
e-lists i'm on.

And the whole night and well into the next morning there are parties
with *lots* of alcohol going on in peoples' private rooms.

So much for our Twelfth Night food.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita