[Sca-cooks] 12th Nights

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Jan 6 11:17:00 PST 2010

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Johnnae wrote:
>>  Various 12th Nights are being held in the coming two weeks.
>>
>>  So what people planning or being served this year?
>
> West Kingdom has never had a feast as long as i've been in the SCA,
> since Twelfth Night is usually held in a hotel.
I've been in for 20 years, and I think that An Tir 12th Night went to a
'con' format 17 or 18 years ago. Last feast I remember was about '91,
maybe '92 (it was in Lion's Gate, if anyone remembers). A few years
after that there was a 'buffet feast', but it was held several floors
off of where the court site was, and it was done *during court*, which
meant that if you wanted to eat, you had to leave court. A couple of the
Chiv were especially unhappy about this.

So we've had our 12th Night in hotels for some time. We end up having to
use a conference center, because we flat out can't have the event
otherwise. Finding an outdoor site for 1500-2000 people is hard enough,
but finding a site for 1500 _indoors_ is quite another matter! We
usually completely book the main hotel within moments of the copy
hitting the web page, and hotels around fill up quickly. They may or may
not be convenient, however. And dragging yourself around from hotel to
hotel in the rain while wearing 12th Night garb is less than fun.

Any dancing happens Friday night.

Frankly, I don't like the fact that 12th Night has gone so far off of
what it had been, but I don't see any way it could have been avoided.
When you make it a Kingdom event and stick a coronation and peerage
meetings in the middle of it, there's little time for anything else.

(In the interest of full disclosure, no, I'm not going to 12th Night
this weekend. I can't afford the travel and hotel, and I HATE that site.)

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore