[Sca-cooks] lutefisk and Lefse

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 07:13:29 PST 2010

I had an epiphany about this some years ago, when my honourable ex
swapped chores with me to sit in line at the drive-through when Krispy
Kreme Doughnuts opened in our part of the world.  He had to have them,
even though I remained unimpressed.  They're just doughnuts, right?  Not
really, it was more.

It was never about the lutefisk itself, or the haggis, or gefilte fish,
or chitlins.  It was about the whole complex of family memory associated
with the smell and taste.  The feel of sitting at grandmother's table.
The Love.

Philosophically,
Selene