[Sca-cooks] New issue of TI number 173

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 19 21:27:18 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:24 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Brekke wrote:
>> Pennsic is now a two-week event, to all intents and purposes; that's a long time do do without modern foods, although I know many people do it for the entire time they're there.
>
> I infer that you are implying this is a hardship, but I fail to grasp how that can be.
>
> I spent a month in Japan in 1972 where i ate modern food, but it was all Japanese. I lived in Indonesia for several years in the late 1970s where i ate modern food, but it was all Indonesian. I spent a month in Morocco (Dec 2000 -  Jan 2001) where i ate modern food, but it was all Moroccan.
>
> I eat modern food most of the year at home, too: mostly Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese. So, what do you mean by "modern food"?

What do you mean by, "what do you mean"? I had assumed the statement being made was that some people find it difficult to go for two weeks eating nothing but historically accurate or historically inspired, "period" food.

Perhaps I'm missing some nuance here, but it sounds like you're misinterpreting Brekke's intent (I can't speak for her intent, but I know her pretty well, and she was cooking medieval food while I was wearing freon tanks, hockey pads and carpet).

I think that she is saying some people do find it a hardship, but not that she necessarily finds it such.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter