[Sca-cooks] Camping food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 15:04:15 PST 2010

  Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
<<< For breakfasts and lunches we would usually just have
some items that  could be eaten as is, from the
store-bought packages. Or juice or milk  from the ice
chest. >>>

What I forgot to mention, is that several years ago we got invited to
join one of our barony's household's meal plans, so that is what we've
been doing the last several years, and they include a hot breakfast
with that, although I try to make sure I have some diet juice along.
It is so much nicer to have a group of folks to eat meals with. And
things which aren't worth the bother for just two people become
reasonable with eight or 12 or whatever.

Cailte suggested:
<<< For camping in general, we find that  making breakfast
burritos at home (name yer poison... eggs, bacon, sausage,
cheese, taters, chili) works best for breakfast (or
lunch).  I wrap them in foil, hard freeze them in gallon
zip locks.  Then I take my three part pot (with steamer
and spaghetti drainer), put in a fair amount of water, the
steamer basket, and bring to boil.  Then I put the
burritoes (still wrapped in foil) in the steamer basket
and let them steam away. >>>

This sounds interesting. We don't have a steamer camping pot, but I
guess we could find one. What is the approximate time you would need
to steam a frozen burrito? The flour tortilla doesn't get soggy? Or do
you use corn tortillas for this?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------