[Sca-cooks] Apicius cantaloupe dish

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Fri Jan 22 17:51:14 PST 2010

Cantaloupe is indigenous to India and Africa from there they spread to
Egypt, then to Greeks and Romans.
Cantaloupe is believed to have been introduced to NA in 1494, Columbus'
second voyage.
The question is the variety. I have come to understand  but no docs. that
the warty rind cantaloupe was first and the netted rind which we are
familiar with came about in the 1200s Persia. Allegedly a hybrid of the
warty with a squash.
Cucumis melo var. reticulus (netted)used mainly in NA
Cucumis melo var. cantalupensis (ribbed) used mainly in Europe and Asia.
Some cantaloupe varieties
http://www.loghouseplants.com/lists/veglistbnveg.html

De