[Sca-cooks] sops and sippets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 25 23:50:55 PST 2010

Adamantius said:
<<< The other question to be addressed is whether our target audience
ate much toasted bread that wasn't sops, and whether this was
considered healthy, or even if everybody concerned could chew it.

I mean, the recipes from the sixteenth and seventeenth century that go
into detail as to how sops are prepared and slowly moistened, seem to
suggest that sops are pretty well puffed up and jellylike by the time
they're served. You have to wonder whether this could be accomplished
by the kind of over-reduced pottage being spoken of. >>>

I have a small file on sops from previous discussions:
sops-msg          (34K)  7/ 4/06  Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/sops-msg.html

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any original recipes in there.
What are some of the recipes you are referring to, Adamantius?

The redactions I do have pretty much say to put the bread in the
bottom of the bowl and pour the soup or the soup/wine mixture over it.
I don't see time for it to get "well puffed up and jellylike". There
is a quote from you (Adamantius) in the file of "I think the adjective
we need for sops is "fluffy"..." but I don't seem to having anything
about why you say this.

There is also a comment in there that seems to talk about toasted
bread being used this way as "sippets" rather than "sops".

To me right now, the idea of pouring the soup or soup/wine combination
over wonder-bread type bread sounds doughy and disgusting, but it you
used a whole wheat or other bread it might not be too bad. But then I
do have teeth or better than period replacements.

Have folks served sops or sippets as part of feasts? How did it go over?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com