[Sca-cooks] Questions on coffee

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jan 27 06:30:50 PST 2010

Add to this that the blanket question "Is [x] period?" can be so
generalized as to be pointless - it leaves out the important specifics
of where and when.  If you use "average medieval Europe" as a guideline
then no, coffee is not period.  It wasn't consumed in the typical
European culture throughout the middle ages.  If you use "ever consumed
anywhere that had any contact with Europe in the time period before
1650" then coffee (along with just about any African, Asian, or American
foodstuff) is "period".

I find the whole "Ferderic of Lyon once wrote in his journal that he had
pifflefish while visiting Lilliput in 1648, so pifflefish is period!" to
be a disingenuous exercise for the sole purpose of justifying the
individual's choices in the SCA context.

- Doc (who's feeling cranky today)