[Sca-cooks] Questions on coffee

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 27 06:44:28 PST 2010

--On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:30 AM -0700 edoard at medievalcookery.com
wrote:

> [...]

All true -- but it is a way of thinking encouraged by the entire social
structure of the SCA. The fact that in one room we have Vikings rubbing
elbows with 16th C Dutch tradesmen, who are fighting next to the Spartan
regiment, who are camped next to the "we're peasants, but we're really
fairies" crowd makes it a very difficult mold to break outside the large
research context (and even sometimes within it).  Now, I'm not saying this
is good or bad (I know the argument that one brings up), just pointing it
out.

And, the context has been true of several threads lately -- not just
coffee. Sandwichs, Mac and Cheese, etc. The names all evoke a food fixed in
the average everyday American kitchen, even if there is a recipe in a
pre-1600 cookbook for a dish that is similar in construction.

toodles, margaret