[Sca-cooks] "Bojal" wheat - Wikipedia articles

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jan 3 13:51:09 PST 2010

Suey wrote:
> I agree with Bear that "common wheat" is to vague. Emmer is more logical.
> Bojal wheat has me upset because the author does not footnote his
> statement. I do not where he got that from. Nor do I know who the author
> is.

And I'm sure I mentioned that the source appears to be /La cultura de la
alimentación en el mundo ibérico/ by Arturo Oliver Foix.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=aEs&q=%22trigo%20bojal%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wp

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Thank you.

My (exceptionally limited) reading of this is that the evidence for "trigo
bojal" comes from the excavation of a Carthaginian house.  Without more
detail about the particular excavation, it is difficult to assign a date of
7th Century BCE to the cultivation of bojal wheat in Spain, the excavation
could be dated  from the 7th Century BCE through the 2nd Century BCE.  The
particular evidence referenced, which I suspect are seeds, may possibly be
an intrusive artifact.  I am also curious about the evidence of
"cultivation".  Carthage had an extensive trade with it's colonies in Spain
if the number of Spanish amphorae found at Carthage are any indicator.  It
is possible that bojal wheat was a trade good rather than a cultivar.  From
what I can read of Foix's text, he doesn't provide any dating, so the
Wikipedia article may be overstating the case.

In my perambulations, I have encountered a bibliographical entry that may
prove of interest if I can locate the article.

Decker, Michael, "Plants and Progress:  Rethinking the Islamic Agricultural
Revolution," Journal of World History, Vol. 20 No.2, June, 2009, pp 187-206.

To my knowledge, not a relative.

Bear