[Sca-cooks] OOP: What are they teaching are kids?

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 05:39:44 PST 2010

Soooo....normally, poached eggs aren't rubbery?  I presume you eat them like
a boiled egg (salt and pepper, only)?  Or are they usually with a sauce?

As for eggs, I grew up with having our own chickens, so that was not a
problem.
So, do they have more of the consistency of a soft-boiled egg, or something,
when cooked right?   I've enjoyed many a boiled egg, and all...but boiled
eggs seem to retain some flavor, whereas the poached ones didn't, at
all...dunno.

I guess what you're saying is, they just taste like eggs...because they are
eggs.

I like eggs, really.
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Ian Kusz wrote:
>
> > Okay, maybe I'm ignorant, but every time I've had poached eggs, it was
> > rather like eating a slice of inner tube.  Mmmmm....nice
> > and....er...tasteless and rubbery.
> >
> > What are they SUPPOSED to be like?
>
> Like eggs. A rich, sort of pure-protein sweetness to the white, and a
> slightly musky, buttery, velvety opulence in the yolk?
>
> Could your reaction be akin to someone not understanding what all the fuss
> is about super-fresh salmon because they've never actually encountered it?
> Like looking at a black-and-white photo of something?
>
> I ask this with nothing but respect; I'm just not sure how eggs get to
> people in Alaska and whether there's some quality loss inherent in shipping
> that might explain one possible issue. I do know it's not snow and ice all
> over, all year around, but beyond that, I'm fairly ignorant.
>
> Now, another aspect could be quality loss in preparation or cooking. Yeah,
> when poached eggs are cooked, reheated or held improperly, there can also be
> flavor loss or they can acquire an unfortunate, rubbery texture, but that
> isn't (or at least not all of it) inherent in the egg itself.
>
> Adamantius
>

> "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we
> all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
>                        -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

Ian of Oertha