[Sca-cooks] OOP: What are they teaching are kids?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 08:11:33 PST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 9:33 AM, Terri Morgan wrote:

>> Ooo because coddling leaves the egg mostly raw.
>> I don't like my eggs dry but I don't like them
>> that raw either.
>
> We must use the term differently. Coddled eggs, where I come from, are
> cracked into (almost) boiling broth (or more often, stew or soup) until they
> are done all the way through. The white absorbs the broth while the yolk
> stays nicely, um, yolk-flavoured.

I suspect you've got hold of a [possibly localized] alternate definition for coddling. In most of the English-speaking world, I believe, coddling is done in a ramekin or other container, and gently heated in hot water coming up the side of the container, like a double boiler, steamed, or baked, with a hot water bath (in the oven without a hot water bath, they are either "baked" or "shirred").

What you're describing appears to still be poaching (provided the temperature of the liquid doesn't get too high or simmer too hard).

I do love an egg poached in a bowl of ramen before serving, or in Cantonese watercress soup.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter