[Sca-cooks] Epulario 1517

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Jan 10 15:35:46 PST 2010

<<

Along related lines ...  . I'm familiar with the _Epulario_ that's a
late 16th c. English translation of an Italian cookbook. Recently I
was in the rare books room of the U of Chicago library and discovered
that they have several 16th c. editions of the Italian Epulario--same
subtitle (only in Italian), so pretty clearly the original that was
translated. I've arranged for them to send me a photocopy of the
earliest, I think 1537 or so. >>

The first edition is from 1517, if I remember well.

Look here for an early online copy.

http://www.academiabarilla.com/academia/gastronomic-library/ext/digital-book/year.aspx

Author:  ROSSELLI Giovanni de' (XVI-XVII cent.)
Title:  Opera
noua chiamata Epulario quale tracta il modo de cucinare ogni carne,
vcelli, pesci, de ogni sorte. Et fare sapori, torte, pastelli, al modo
de tutte le prouincie: et molte altre gentilezze. Composta per maestro
Giouanne de Rosselli. Francese.
 (New work called a Epulario,
with information on how to cook all types of meat, poultry, and fish.
And how to make cakes and cookis in all regional varieties, and more.
Complied by master Giouanne de Rosselli. French.)
Language: Italian
City of Publication: Venice
Publisher: Niccolo Zoppino e Vincenzo di Paolo
Printer: Giacomo Penzio
Date of Publication: 1517
Other Editions: Venice,
Penzio, 1517, 1518; Venice, Benalio, 1519; Venice, Bendoni, 1521, 1533;
Rome, Mascardi, 1614; Venice, Imberti, 1619; Venice, Righettini, 1626;
Trevigi, Righettini, 1643; Venice–Bassano, Remondini, 1674; Venice,
Curti, 1683; facsimile: Rome, Riccio, 1973.
Format: Standard Italian Format 8
Pagination: [12], 31 c.
Category: Cookbook
Subjects: Cucina; Recipes; Table Presentation: service
Notes: Rosselli, whose biography is uncertain, gathered and published the material of Maestro Martino of Como.

E.