[Sca-cooks] Whale meat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 19 16:01:03 PST 2010

Mortraeth asked:

<<< So tell me, does anyone have any favoured recipes for whale? I'm
primarily interested in early period/Norse food, but realize that in
that case I could probably just throw bits in kettle over the fire. I
think I'd like to optimize this one time experience! >>>

Oooh, That's odd enough. Did you try the Florilegium?  :-)

In the FOOD-MEATS section:
whale-meat-msg     (7K)  6/26/05    Use of whale and porpoise meat in
period.
                                        Recipes. Substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/whale-meat-msg.html

If you are going to boil it, I'd suggest cutting it into thin strips
rather than big chunks.
"They said whale meat is really tough and
stringy. They likened it to brisket as far as texture and
toughness. I'm not sure how that correlates to the description
below. They said it is usually served in thin strips because it is
so tough."

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com