[Sca-cooks] Other modern nonsense

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Thu Jan 21 12:29:47 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:51 PM,  <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> something added to fill up the plate or dress up otherwise dull food). No
> foams, although i've been curious to eat a meal that incorporates them so i
> can have the actual experience

Certain types are really easy to make yourself. While I'm not a big
fan of the extreme end of foams where they get so light and airy it's
more like breathing the food than eating it, zabaglione is a favorite
dessert of mine and, done right, is quite foamy - and it's not all
that hard to make.

And, as it turns out, savory zabaglione is almost as easy. (I find the
sugar makes it a little bit less likely to curdle on you if you aren't
careful; I don't know why.) A sauce that's procedurally a zabaglione
made with egg yolks, dry white wine, and tarragon comes out with a
flavor very Bearnaise-like (not the same, of course, since there's no
butter) but a texture that's miles away from Bearnaise and also pretty
cool; it goes well on steak.

 - Jaume