[Sca-cooks] some queries

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 07:33:45 PST 2010

Here is my take on the words.  I have the book that she is translating from and thus the glossary, so I have a bit of a lead in.
The dictionary used was: Alfred Hoare - An Italian dictionary, I've found it very useful over the years as it has archaic and dialect forms of many words.

Apolinos - name of a plate/dish, may be derived from apolline - which when appended to stare in - means to live in luxury, to live as Apollo.
Barbari (Barbaro, barbare) - Barbare as a verb, 1) to take root, 2) to play a trick on, 3) to push in, 4) to say to tell
Battuto (need second meaning, other than beaten. Maybe batter?) - chopped finely (i.e. with knives on a board) also used as Bear indicated to refer to a chopped herb mix
Calcinelli (small shellfish. What kind?) - my dictionary gives it only as a species of shellfish, blue in it's lifetime, white after death. The book Mediterranean seafood by Alan Davidson doesn't really give any description of a mollusc that matches this.
Capricto - Dialect for capretto or diminutive male goat (i.e. male kid)
Carus - name of a plate/dish, may be derived from caro i.e. dear (not the animal as in dear to someones heart).
Cesame - a sauce,
Civero - Salmi, a stew
Crepa - name of a plate/dish, may be derived from crepare - to burst, to fall apart, crepature means to crack
Cumere - cimere, possibly from cimare v. to trim, to prune, alternatively from cima - literally sprout, often cabbage sprouts
Eucabam - name of a plate/dish, possibly latin in origin, possibly derived from eucrasia - medieval Italian word for eucharist
Locanica - lucanica - lucanian i.e. of Lucca
Lonche - lonza - loin
Moriada - ? related to moro or mulberry, alternatively mortella or myrtle?
Mortimolo - name of a plate/dish, possibly derived from mortaro i.e. mortar, a pounded or mortared dish
Mortia: name of a plate/dish, my dictionary gives mortia as salted provisions
Muliazeto - name of a plate/dish, may be a dialect o to u substitution, looking under mu gives nothing mo, makes more sense, molle to soften, to soak in a liquid
Obitelli - oblata is host before consecration, i..e wafers, context may be helpful
Odoricti (Odoritti) - scents, from ordore -  herbs used to add aroma to a dish
Ola: - Olla, a short form of pentolla or pan
Pugne: name of a plate/dish, may be derived from pugno, one of the definitions of which is "quantity which can be held in a closed fist, that is to say, very little.  Alternatively if the dish contains prugne or prunes (dried plums) that may also be the source.
Quillies:  - name of a dish, there are often e to i substitutions in dialet so it may be quellies, but it still pulls up no logical word to derive from.
Renfusa - name of a plate/dish poss. dialect version of rinfusa derived from rinfondere - to to make a fresh infusion
Scorza aromatica - aromatic peel, may also be taken to mean bark,
Vone - no idea.

Helewyse