[Sca-cooks] Maestro Martino and grilled cheese sandwiches

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jan 26 05:54:25 PST 2010

> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo mentioned:
> <<< Now, as to sandwiches.  There's a good recipe for a grilled-cheese
> sandwich in Maestro Martino, if one really wishes to serve sandwiches.
> >>>

> Oh? Interesting. Can someone post the translation of this recipe and/ or
> their redaction? Other than one other possible sandwich recipe  posted
> here in the last few years this sounds like the most sandwich- like.
>
> Stefan

I think this is the recipe in question.  I prepared the recipe for an
Italian feast I did a few years ago.

Bear

Baked Cheese Bread

Crostata de Caso et Pane

Piglia pane he getta via la crosta, he fa fette suttile he bruscule a lo
foco che siano colorite; dapoi inbratale cum butiro frsco, he ponerai de
sopra zucaro, canella; et poi habe fette de caso grasso he metelo sopra
questo pane cum de sopra ancora zucaro he canella; poi mette queste fette in
una padella de torta sopra le cinere cum lo coperto de sopra cum braxa; et
como lo caso sia squagilato, manda presto a tavola.

Get bread, remove the crust, slice it thin and toast it on the fire to color
it, then coat the slices with fresh butter and put sugar and cinnamon on
top, then get slices of creamy cheese and put them on the toast with sugar
and cinnamon on top; then put the slices into a torte pan and put this on
the coals with the lid on and coals on top; when the cheese has melted,
serve it quickly.

8 slices of white sandwich bread
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
Whipped butter or margarine
Slices of cheese to cover the bread

Mix cinnamon and sugar in a clean salt or pepper shaker.
Toast the slices of bread and trim the crust.
Butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Place the slices of bread on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
Top the buttered bread with the slices of cheese.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Place the pan in a 300 degree F oven until the cheese begins to melt.
Remove and serve.

Serves eight.

With the fresh spices, we wound up using 4T sugar to 1T cinnamon. The bread
needs to be a little stale to make good crisp toast. The cheese slices need
to be sliced a thicker than deli slices. Try making a slice of cinnamon
toast to taste to find out how heavy to spice the toast.