[Sca-cooks] sops and sippets

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 26 18:49:54 PST 2010

Digby
As a potherb: The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Opened, 1669: POTAGE DE
SANTÉ
Florilegium file titled
Cucumbers-Hst-art - 10/16/09
"Medieval and Ancient History of the Cucumber" by Ian of Oertha.

Johnnae

On Jan 26, 2010, at 9:34 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

On Jan 26, 2010, at 9:18 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> He's probably thinking of this quote:
>
> "About three quarters after eleven, have your slice dried bread
> ready in a
> dish, and pour a ladleful of the broth upon it. Let it stew covered
> upon a
> Chafing-dish. When that is soaked in, put on more. So continue till
> it be
> well *mittonée*, and the bread grown spungy, and like a gelly. Then
> fill up
> the dish with broth, and put the Hen and Veal upon it, and cover
> them over
> with herbs, and so serve it in."

I believe it was from either Markham or Plat. Honestly, I'm in the
middle of trying to figure which of the two almost simultaneous
funerals of good friends, hundreds of miles apart, I'll be able to
attend, so this is not a high priority item for me just now...

Adamantius