[Sca-cooks] Update on coffee question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 27 16:25:33 PST 2010

I've previously provided the quote from Avicenna so while the assertion that
Avicenna dis not use the coffee plant medicinally may be true, he certainly
knew of the plant and described it's medicinal properties.  Avicenna was
Persian and spent his life in the Persian sphere of influence primarily in
Rai (near Teheran).  So the assertion that coffee does not appear in in 10th
Century Persian culinary text or 13th Century culinary or medicinal texts is
technically true, but doesn't provide for the Persian medicinal texts of
Rhazes in the 10th Century or of Avicenna in the 11th Century.

Qahwa and qatt are two distinct beverages.  The Sufis appear to have made
use of both.

Kha'ir Beg al Mi'mar was the Pasha of the Mamluks and the chief regulator of
trade and trading practices in Mecca.  His prohibition on coffee in Mecca in
1511 was the result of a lot of legal manuevering between strict
religionists and those more open to "intoxicating" beverages.  In the end,
the strict religionists lost and Kha'ir Beg was replaced the following year.

The story of Pope Clement blessing coffee is apochryphal.

The first reference to coffee in English is from the 1598 edition of
Linschoten's Travels.

The first known importation of coffee into Europe outside of Italy was into
Amsterdam in 1616, but commercial importation did not occur until 1640 (by a
merchant named Wurffbain).

Bear