[Sca-cooks] OT OP Strawberries

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 28 04:00:41 PST 2010

For something completely different on another subject, I came across
notice
yesterday for a contest for strawberry recipes. It's
promoting "Florida fresh winter strawberries" in
Starters and Salsas; Salads; Sweets. It ends February 28, 2010.
Entries must be
received no later than 5 PM (EST), February 28, 2010.

http://www.floridawinterstrawberrycontest.com/enter.html
---------------
The rules are rather interesting as they contain this caveat:

"Why can the recipe only have eight ingredients, plus herbs and spices?
We based this on one of the most requested primary research documents
in the food
industry, The Better Homes & Gardens Food Trends Study. This document
provides a historical
analysis of America’s food shopping, cooking and serving habits.
  Three out of four people surveyed said they had changed the types of
recipes they use.
  Here’s what home cooks want regarding recipes —

 Easier recipes (no more than 4.4 ingredients plus spices for
everyday meals or 6.2
ingredients for special occasions)
 More low-calorie recipes
 More nutritious foods
 More recipes that are lower in fat
 More recipes with fresh foods

We wanted to give contestants a little more room to show their
creativity, so we actually
increased the number of ingredients for this contest."
---------

So I guess this explains why many magazine recipes now contain so few
ingredients.

I really miss Gourmet.

Johnnae