[Sca-cooks] Camping food

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jan 27 16:55:08 PST 2010

Well, Cariadoc, my thinking was that most of what people were
discussing was modern techniques to deal with modern foods, and making
it sound like feeding 3 or 4 people was a major hassle. If you notice,
most of the foods described were pretty modern, as well as the
techniques to deal with them, and, mostly they seemed to be talking
about dealing with a family group, rather than a cast of thousands.

Certainly, different means need to be used to make period foods, or to
cook for large groups, but you really can set things up modularly, no
matter what the cuisine or group size. However, since this mostly
seemed to be addressed to camp food beginners, I think my suggestions
would give them a place to start. Lets get past Dinty Moore and MREs
before we try to serve a period feast for 400 people in the middle of
a hay field. One step at a time...