[Sca-cooks] fried mush/polenta

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 7 04:31:02 PST 2010

Polenta is boiled grain meal.  Grits are boiled corn meal.  Grits are a
subset of polenta.

The Apician recipe is made with wheat flour, but the more common grain for
polenta was barley.  These days the common grain for polenta is maize.

My Mother preferred to go straight to cornmeal mush chilled in a loaf pan to
get nicely shaped slices rather than the intermediate state of grits.

Bear