[Sca-cooks] digital libraries on culinary history ...

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Jan 13 06:14:38 PST 2010

Ok, so I was browsing through this site just to see what was there, and
I came across something interesting.

There's a page full of "Gastronomic Prints", and about halfway down is
one titled "La grigliata - The Grill" - I can't link directly to the
image, but here's the page of prints.
http://www.academiabarilla.com/academia/gastronomic-prints/browse-gastronomic-prints-collection.aspx?q=XVI

What I find notable about it is that the woman on the right side of the
image is holding what appears to be a bratwurst in a split roll.
Popular wisdom is that sausages were first served in rolls around the
1890s, but if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing then the practice dates
back to at least the 1600s.

- Doc