[Sca-cooks] What constitutes modern food

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Tue Jan 26 09:04:59 PST 2010

I actually don't know.  Although I was born here (in north-western Montana), and have never lived anywhere else, my parents originally came from Connecticut, so I not only have a slightly different ethnic background than most of the people around me when I was growing up (largely Norwegian/Scandinavian they were), but different foodways, as well.

I'd probably default to the standard Butte pasty, although I didn't grow up there.  Meat, potatoes, onion, in a pastry crust.  Often with a brown gravy.

(Didn't have one until I was in college, though.  My heritage-typical sandwich would have been a grinder--Italian bread, cold cuts, Italian dressing, good cheese.)

--Maire