[Sca-cooks] Anchovies - what to do?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jan 30 08:28:06 PST 2010

A quick search using the handy search feature through Doc's website
medievalcookery.com

reveals:

This is an excerpt from Libre del Coch
(Spain, 1520 - Robin Carroll-Mann, trans.)
The original source can be found at Mark S. Harris' Florilegium

219. ANCHOVY in casserole. The anchovy is commonly bitter, and because
of this you must remove the head together with the intestines and wash
it, and clean it well, and then take all common spices, and also put
in raisins, and almonds, and pine_nuts; and the almonds must be
scalded and blanched; and then mix them with the raisins, and almonds,
and pine_nuts, and with all the good herbs, and with the fish. And let
everything be mixed in the casserole with a little oil. These
casseroles are better to cook in the house than in the oven; and for
the most part, they should be eaten in the month of April.

  You could treat them like sardines-

This is an excerpt from Le Menagier de Paris
(France, 1393 - Janet Hinson, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website

Sardines, gutted, cooked in water, and eaten with mustard sauce.

I suppose the search would broaden out if done under fish and then you
looked for small

fish.

Hope this helps

Johnna