[Sca-cooks] Meat Jerky

Dan Schneider schneiderdan at ymail.com
Sun Jul 4 19:53:39 PDT 2010

Well, with something as simple as dried strips of meat, it's almost certainly a mistake to claim that any one group is *the* originator of the technique... Certainly the Isrealites, living in a desert, would have had the right environment for making jerky, but the Scandinavians and Icelanders were making lots of dried fish, and, of course, the word "jerky" itself comes from "charki", which is from one of the Native American lanquages of South America. Really, I suspect that any group that found itself with the right conditions would have worked it out independently...

Dan