[Sca-cooks] Graters?

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:36:52 PDT 2010

"I would be interested to discover what they used in period to grate
nutmegs...it would be extremely difficult to reduce a nutmeg to powder
using a mortar and pestle."

Actually, I have tried this as part of a project where I made a
variety of spice mixes. I pounded cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, rose
petals, and many other spices with them. My kids took turns doing the
same (they wanted a chance to play with the mortars and pestals). It
really was not that difficult even with the relatively small mortars
that I use. I doubt someone working with a larger mortar would have
much trouble at all.

Guillaume