[Sca-cooks] Banana Recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jul 20 03:15:12 PDT 2010

http://www.enotes.com/food-encyclopedia/banana-plantain
Encyclopedia of Food & Culture > Banana and Plantain

"Many wild banana diploids and triploids are still abundant throughout
southeastern Asia, with a primary area of origin in Malaysia and Papua
New Guinea, while most of the plantains originated in India and the
Philippines. In any event, both spread quickly to other tropical and
subtropical regions of the world. The Fe'i bananas evolved throughout
the Pacific islands from Indonesia to the Marquesas and still remain
closely confined to the area.

The main recognized milestones of these movements are:

c. 500 C.E. —
Introduction to Africa from Indonesia (via Madagascar)
c. 1000 C.E. —
Distribution throughout Polynesia and introduction to Mediterranean
areas during Muslim expansion
1300s–1400s —
Introduction to the Canary Islands from West Africa
1516 —
First recorded introduction to the New World (Santo Domingo) from the
Canary Islands"

Johnnae