[Sca-cooks] Sugars was A Sallet of all Kinds of Hearbes and Cucumbers

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 30 12:43:00 PDT 2010

There's also this cane sugar product made in the USA.
Maui Brand Natural Cane Sugars are made in Maui by Hawaiian Commercial
& Sugar Company using 100% cane sugar grown on our 37,000-acre central
Maui plantation. We've extracted the pure sweetness from the cane
juices, retaining some of the natural molasses in the crystals, to
bring you superior quality natural sugars that will enhance the flavor
of your favorite beverages, cereals, baked goods, and recipes.

Maui Brand Natural Cane Sugars come in two styles: Natural White™ and
Premium Maui Gold™.

http://www.mauibrand.com/

We toured the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum when we were there in
2007 and drove through a number of the fields.

Johnna

On Jul 29, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Elise Fleming wrote:
>
>>   Larger crystals such as are found in turbinado sugar (and I don't
>> remember the name of the large-crystal UK product) would have added
>> a nice glitter to the salad.
>
> Do you mean Demerara, by any chance?
>
> Adamantius

This may have been true once upon a time, and may still be with some
rare sugar products. But the vast majority of brown sugar products in
USAmerican supermarkets does not have added molasses to color the
otherwise white sugar. On most packages it says that the sugar is
colored with caramel or caramel coloring, which can be more white
sugar which has been cooked and caramelized.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita