[Sca-cooks] Bananas

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 17:06:04 PDT 2010

Bear answered me with:
<<< Bananas are cut just before ripening and shipped refrigerated.? Once they come
out of refrigeration you have roughly two weeks to sell them.? That is why
bananas only became a widespread commodity in the late 19th Century. >>>

Oh, Okay. I think I see where I was getting tripped up.

I was assuming that if it takes two weeks to ship the bananas, you cut them two weeks before they become ripe. Then they arrive when they are ready.

If it takes three weeks to ship the bananas, you cut them three weeks before they are ripe. If four weeks to ship them, then you cut them four weeks before they are ripe.

But I think the hidden point here is, that no matter how green the bananas are, once you cut them, you have only two weeks before they go bad. So if it takes you four weeks to ship them, they will still go bad two weeks into the voyage, even if you cut them four weeks before they would normally be ripe.

Stefan
======
Mark S. Harris
Electronics Engineer, Board and Systems Design
MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris