[Sca-cooks] cuskynoles

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jul 31 05:58:44 PDT 2010

Have a good weekend away Emilio.

For when you get back, it's

recipe 136r
A recipe for krushkananaj called Abu Ishaqi mu'arraj
(shaped like crescents}:
(And there are all sorts of funny characters which I cannot reproduce
and that this list will just publish as question marks anyway)

It's on page 419 of Nawal Nasrallah's translation of Annals of the
caliphs' kitchens: Ibn Sayyār al-Warrāq's tenth-century Baghdadi
Cookbook by al-Muẓaffar ibn Naṣr Ibn Sayyār al-Warrāq.

It's the big red Brill volume that originally came out in 2007 and is
due out shortly in a $70.00 paperback. We have been mentioning it of
late on the list. 876 pages.

IF you don't own the volume (and I hope more people do take the
opportunity now that the paperback has been released) it's up on
Google Books for viewing and this recipe can be viewed there!
People interested in cookies and pastries can find a number of
interesting  recipes there, including some that might tempt people
away from brownies.

Stefan should be creating a file on this volume complete with review
and comments.

-------

Nawal Nasrallah mentions these are similar to an Iraqi cookie known as
klecha. There seems to be a recipe and photo of those on
http://www.iamiraqi.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3478&PN=3&title=middle-eastern-cuisine

Sorry this message got delayed. It went to draft and didn't send.

Johnnae