[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks] grapes

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jul 2 05:23:47 PDT 2010

Chardonnay grapes aren't red.
http://wine.appellationamerica.com/grape-varietal/Chardonnay.html

http://www.concordgrape.org/ provides information on the Concord
grapes where it says
"it was not until 1854 that the Concord variety made its debut,
appropriately named after the Massachusetts village of Concord where
the first of its variety was grown. The Concord grape is a robust and
aromatic grape whose ancestors were wild native species found growing
in the rugged New England soil.
TO JUICE: The first unfermented grape juice known to be processed in
the United States was by a Vineland, New Jersey dentist, Dr. Thomas
Welch in 1869. Dr. Welch, his wife and 17-year old son, Charles,
gathered 40 pounds of Concord grapes from the trellis in front of
their house. In their kitchen, they cooked the grapes for a few
minutes, squeezed the juice out through cloth bags, and poured the
world’s first processed fresh fruit juice into twelve quart bottles on
the kitchen table..... Dr. Welch’s process was a success, and his
application of Louis Pasteur’s theory of pasteurization to preserve
fresh grape juice pioneered the industry of canned and bottled fruit
juices in America. This first juice was used on the Communion table in
the local Methodist church for sacramental purposes, and most of the
first orders for grape juice came from churches for Communion.
In the century following the introduction of Concord grapes, more of
these blue-black slip-skin grapes were sold than all other species
combined. Today, growers harvest more than 336,000 tons in the U.S.
Washington grows the largest number, followed by New York, Michigan,
Pennsylvania, Ohio and Missouri.

See also http://www.welchs.com/

Johnnae