[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks] grapes

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 05:48:13 PDT 2010

There is a type of wild grape that is available in the mountains of
Virginia...and I'd assume probably North Carolina that is called a Fox
grape.  It's somewhat larger than the domesticated table grapes and wine
grapes.  It is a red grape with a slightly rusty appearance to the skin when
ripe.  My mother and father used to drive up to the Skyline Drive in the
Blue Ridge Mtns. and pick the grapes from the roadside.  Mama would then
make the most amazing grape juice from them...instead of being the more
purplish color that most grape juice is, this was a rich dark red in color.
I still remember the taste very fondly.  I wish I could get hold of some now
as that would probably make amazing sapa....

Kiri

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> Chardonnay grapes aren't red.
> http://wine.appellationamerica.com/grape-varietal/Chardonnay.html
>
> http://www.concordgrape.org/ provides information on the Concord grapes
> where it says
> "it was not until 1854 that the Concord variety made its debut,
> appropriately named after the Massachusetts village of Concord where the
> first of its variety was grown. The Concord grape is a robust and aromatic
> grape whose ancestors were wild native species found growing in the rugged
> New England soil.

<snip...>

--
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."