[Sca-cooks] Banana Recipe

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 09:08:16 PDT 2010

Angharad wrote, re Judhaba of bananas by Ibn al Mahdi:
>Hmmm, I don't like bananas but I can still see that would be kind of tasty.
>How necessary is the chicken? I mean could you get satisfactory results by
>basting by warm oil or butter?

The chicken hanging as it roasts over the platter of something sweet,
into which the chicken juices drip, is essential to any Judhaba.
Without it, it isn't really judhaba. There are quite a few other
judhaba recipes, all involving a chicken hanging roasting over a tray
of something sweet, Lauzinaj (crushed and sweetened almonds wrapped
in pastry) for example.

Then the chicken and the sweet are eaten together.

Charles Perry has an amusing essay about this in Medieval Arabic Cookery.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita