[Sca-cooks] SC - Toasting salamander/Neapolitan Collection

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jul 26 07:17:45 PDT 2010

This is one of these problems that we encounter and never mention.
(Manuscripts get dated in various ways. When they were written,
copied, or finally printed may be cited in various places.)

Looking at the records for the actual manuscript, The Pierpont Morgan
Library lists the manuscript
under Notes: Ms. cookbook; written in Naples at the end of the
fifteenth century.

It was a bequest to the library in 1985.
"Bühler manuscripts (MS B.1-MS B.61): Among the many volumes
bequeathed to the Library by Dr. Curt F. Bühler (1905-1985) was his
collection of sixty-one medieval and Renaissance manuscripts. Dr.
Bühler, who worked in the Department of Printed Books for fifty-two
years, serving for many of them as its Keeper of Printed Books, was
one of the world's leading authorities on the art and history of books
printed during the fifteenth century. The manuscripts reflect his
research interests, which were textual rather than art historical;
consequently, they add another dimension to the Library's holdings.
Especially intriguing is a late-fifteenth-century Neapolitan cookbook
(MS B.19)."

The detailed bibliography and descriptions for it say to check:

MS B.19

Ryskamp, Charles, ed., Twenty-First Report to the Fellows of the
Pierpont Morgan
Library, 1984-1986, New York, 1989, 32.

Kristeller, Paul Oskar, Iter Italicum, V, London, 1990, 345.

Benporat, Claudio, Cucina italiana del quattrocento, Florence, 1996.

Scully, Terence, ed. and trans., with Rudolf Grewe, Cuoco Napoletano:
The Neapolitan
Recipe Collection (New York Morgan Library, MS Bühler, 19), Ann Arbor,
2000.
---

So where does the information about the watermark appear? Scully just
mentions the watermark is second half of the 15th century. We can
write to the library and find out if they have more information as of
this date.

Johnna