[Sca-cooks] New Pennsic Rule -OT

H Westerlund-Davis yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 13:14:49 PDT 2010

I agree Johnna a clarification needs to be given as to why the rules have changed. It would end much speculations, confusion and hear-say.
 I have read what is posted by the University and the Mayor has clearly stated that this rule is for Pennsic only and for this year alone. Rules are often enacted due to the past behaviors of others, and in this case a minor. In Caid during our May War we had different Quiet Time Zones as a result of the actions of one groups horrid behavior towards others and the Park Ranger. Each area had a different quiet time curfew.
I have read and re-read what has been posted for Pennsic. I don't see any malice in the rules but a request for common sense and a sense of responsibility by the parents. To me something has occurred since the last Pennsic that prompted the new rule. Keep in mind, for every future King,Queen, Knight, Laurel, Pelican and promising SCA member you are going to get those select group of minors that are out of control and ruin it for others. I have experience minors that are beyond obnoxious at some of my personal demos/classes and classes that I have participated in. I have had to establish strict safety rules since I am handling melted ore ranging from 700-2000 degrees. I have had punks literally stick their finger in melted pewter and then howl in anger when they have been pushed out of the way to be prevented from being burned. Another Mentor of mine was yelled at by a parent because "she allowed her daughter's outfit to be stained" with dye. This of
 course was after repeated reminders of the rules that was repeatably ignored.
A&S et.al  courses should be centers of learning and fun and should not be sources of babysitting for minors. It should be the responsibility of the parents to watch over their children in camp or outside. The behaviors of minors are the responsibilities of the parent and not others and yes I am a parent.

As for me, I was relieved to see that people who are to work with minors and youths are to have background investigations. Unfortunately, it is a signs of our time in our mundane world.

Bless Bless,
Aelina

Duct Tape is like the Force: It has a light side & a dark side
and it holds the universe together.