[Sca-cooks] Macarons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 19 12:28:37 PDT 2010

So how would you define Macaron/Macaroon? What determines whether it is or isn't one?

I was initially assuming the word wasn't period, so I looked for examples where people posted a period recipe and said it was similar to a macaroon.

The main thing I seem to see is the use of a large amount of ground almond instead of wheat or grain flour. But this may not hold if there are other cookies that contain ground almond which aren't called macarons/macaroons.

Yes, I'm wondering if I have enough info in my cookies-msg along with what has been posted, to possibly create a macaroons-msg file.  As well as now just being curious about these macarons/macaroons.  As well as the few I posted I have other comments that don't specify a specific period recipe.

Stefan
The differentiation between macaron and macaroon is trhe first is French and
the second is English.  Both words can be used as general terms for any of
the various styles of macaroon.  The association of macaroon with the
coconut variety is that it is the more common commercial form of the
macaroon in the U.S.  BTW, you most often see them referred to as "coconut
macaroons."  The coconut macaroon is also called a "congolais" in France.

Bear

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com